JACADA Advisor of the Year Awards
The Jaguar Academic Advising Association (JACADA) invites students, faculty, staff, and alumni to nominate faculty or staff academic advisors for the 2019–2020 Advisor of the Year Award. The purpose of the Advisor of the Year Award is to honor an academic advisor who demonstrates a deep commitment to providing an exemplary educational experience for IUPUI students.
The award seeks to recognize an academic advisor who:
- Enhances the student experience by understanding and sharing knowledge of university policies, curriculum requirements, and academic options
- Communicates information about available resources and programs
- Increases student awareness of options
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere for students
- Possesses a strong ability to relate and to be available to students on an individual basis
- Demonstrates interest in students’ personal and academic achievements
- Shows a commitment to continued advisor professional development
- Demonstrates an awareness of and a commitment to diversity.
Nominees do not have to be a member of JACADA to be eligible for the award. One candidate for Advisor of the Year will be selected from nominations to each of the following four categories:
Academic Advising—Primary Role: Individuals whose primary role at the institution is the direct delivery of advising services to students. Nominees must spend at least 50% of their time on direct delivery of advising to students and have at least three calendar years of experience in direct delivery of advising to students.
Faculty Academic Advising: Individuals whose primary responsibility is teaching and who spend a portion of their time providing academic advising services to students. Nominees must spend at least 50% of their time on teaching or research and have at least three years (calendar years) of experience.
Academic Advising Administrator: Individuals who may provide direct academic advising services, but whose primary responsibility is as an administrator or director of an academic advising program. Nominees must have a minimum of three years (calendar years) in advising administration with at least 50% of their duties in advising administration.
Outstanding New Advisor: Individuals have served as an advisor for a period of three or fewer years.
All nominees will be notified of their nominations and will be required to submit a brief advising philosophy, letters of nomination, and a resume by November 10. Students, staff, faculty, and school administrators are welcome to provide additional support for nominations directly to the nominee.
Advisors of the year and honorable mentions will be announced and awarded during the JACADA holiday party. Winners in each category will be encouraged to apply for the national NACADA award.
The deadline for submission is Friday, October 18, 2019.